Thursday 11 April 2013

Day 4

[Posted by Neil]

8:30am - Mass start.

11:30 - Top 50 start. Already nauseous.

12:45 - Checkpoint 1. Speed ok, legs not.

1 to 2 - Wobbling around, can't run. Laurence Klein, women's leader and 3-times winner, passes me.

3 - A gust of wind, and suddenly I'm freezing cold. Faint alarm bells sound just in time: this is heatstroke. I slow to a shuffle. This is the worst I have ever felt in any sporting event ever.

3:30 - I re-overtake Laurence Klein. She has passed out with heatstroke.

4 - Somehow make it to CP3. Shade temp: 42 deg C. Fail to recognise Simon, who does his best to help. Stagger off into dunes.

5 - Zoe Salt (2nd Brit girl) passes me and forces me to take her last 'shot block'. Recovery begins.

6 - Cooling; feeling better.

7 - CP5. I can run again, and finish at 9:30pm.

Music: (...high on a desert plain,) Where The Streets Have No Name (U2)

2 comments:

  1. Neil, your efforts are super human.
    Very well done.
    Enjoy the down time.
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are all bonkers!! Fantastic efforts, well done! I'm really enjoying the blog, it's great to hear how it's going. keep it up, nearly there (ish). Sarah P. X

    ReplyDelete