Friday 12 April 2013

Day 5

CCSI:
1st, thanks for the messages. They are THE high point of the day & keep us going!
The last 20km of day 4 was, by an order of magnitude, the toughest thing in my life. Weirdly, the first 55km really wasn't that bad - I really do outperform when it's hottest!
Today was a full marathon. The 2nd longest but the day off helps.
It was also the hottest it's been yet - more than day 4 - my watch recorded it's first ever 40C. It's now c 10 - 12C warmer than we began. Overnight is only about 18C min so down jacket not needed. However, it was 30C when we set off! The wind has vanished.
We began on a flat slog, suited to proper runners but I got into my 10 min run 5 min walk rhythm. The first CP came fast. I had to do more walking to CP2 as it was just too hot but so did everyone else & it felt I was higher placed. To CP3 was now 40C & mainly dunes. I walked it all but overtook. Last bit was flat, rocky,v hot and I managed some runs. Think it was my best result! but Neil + JPD broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment