Friday 12 April 2013

"The final carbdown"

[Posted by Neil]

Stage 4: I will never, ever know how I finished that.  Heatstroke was frightening; aim for Stage 5 was simply not to overheat. Runners just behind me in the overall standings pass me; I let them go. Is this sense or softness? Whatever, I feel ok to halfway but then the heat is unbelievable. It's almost a relief to hit the soft dunes because no-one could run up them. Meghan (women's leader) passes me. She is running up the dunes. This is not possible. I look for the T-bar but it must be camouflaged. My carb situation is dire. I ration my last few sweets and crash from one sugar low to another until I run out 2km from the end. I blunder in and am shipped off to the 'Clinique' but have enough French to refuse the drip, and a 'penaltie'.

Your emails have been amazing. They've filled several A4 sheets at 5 grams each, and we have kept them all; that's how much they have meant.

Proper reports will follow on Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment