Tuesday 9 April 2013

Sandy Ascents

[Posted by Chris]

Day 3 done and we're allegedly halfway in km. Yay! However, I've discovered doing things by km (as I usually do) is flawed. Terrain is all & it might take 30 min to do 1km. I now realise my training should have involved gluing many irregular brick-sized stones to the treadmill & a lot more sand.

There are a few things that I know scare me: spiders, strangers, the cold, gore... but there are 2 words that appear in our routebook which now take position number 1:
"sandy ascent"

After a flat slog in strangely cloudy conditions for 2 hrs we returned to proper MdS & a lot of sand. It also warmed up - even I was struggling when it hit 37C on one long sandbank, a wind-sheltered one too.

Because we start in the morning, Simon & I feel it the most as we finish neither before nor after the worst heat. That said JPD & even Neil are flagging too.

Finally: the French. Bureaucracy, unnecessary queuing in sun, endless briefings & unequal treatment of Brits. But at least the girls are fit...

1 comment:

  1. Looking at the ratio of men to girls, I presume that`s another queue?

    ReplyDelete